It’s far too easy to get caught up in all the reasons we will miss our husbands while they are away. The list is never ending, and quite frankly it gets a little depressing to think about.
Sure, my husband is going to be deployed for, somewhere around, 10 months. Sure, it’s going to be rough and lonely. Sure, raising 3 kids by myself with no family close by is going to slightly suck.
So let’s not focus on that. Too much dwelling on the pitfalls of deployment can only lead to consuming massive amounts of Ben and Jerry’s alone at night while reading (or watching) The Notebook over and over. I’m focusing on some of the positives!
In doing that I’ve come up with a list of things I know I am going to enjoy doing while my guy is away. Some guilty pleasures I can indulge in. I’m thinking this is a list almost all women will be able to agree and relate with, though if there is something you would add to this list I’d love for you to leave me a comment with your no-man-around guilty pleasures.
- Having the t.v. all to myself – It’s going to be great watching Grey’s Anatomy, Golden Girls reruns, and swooning over Jake Ryan without having to listen to my husbands eye-roll every 10 seconds.
- Slacking on my leg-hair maintenance – Unless I’m wearing shorts or capris I see no need to bother. I don’t plan on replicating the Amazon Forest on my legs, but the removal of hair ritual will definitely slow down.
- No beer clogging my fridge! – And yes, every time I’m putting away my groceries and there is a beer in the way of where my coffee creamer needs to go I hear in my head, “Sammy Wayne Desoto, what is this in my Frigidaire?”
- Increased closet space – When my husband leaves for an extended period of time, I space bag all of his clothes so they don’t just sit there and collect dust. Admittedly, though, I can’t help but get excited over having the closet all to myself.
- Cooking less – My kids are 5y/o and younger, so they eat really light, which means a decreased grocery bill and hopefully waistline.
- Guilt-free girl time – My husband is GREAT at giving me GNO’s, but with him gone I can have them any time I want and don’t have to feel bad about missing out on quality time with him.
- Having the bed all to myself – OK, so in all reality this will be old by at least the 3rd month. Unless then, I’m going to enjoy hogging all the pillows and blankies.
- Shameless cereal consumption – Me? Cereal killer. I could eat it every meal. Take this guilty pleasure and refer back to #5 and you get a happy girl. Ice cream and nachos would be my other food guilty pleasures.
- Mani/Pedi/Spa time – This one is especially for the mommas. When your man is gone and parenting rests completely on your shoulders you NEED to get out and refresh. This is one of my favorite ways to do that.